Ann Taber Collection
Records

Results

We found
107
matching items
Geographic Location
Alpena
  
Collections
Ann Taber Collection
  
  • Fletcher House
        "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It was built by Mr. Geo. N. Fletcher, at a cost of about $50,000, and opened July 12, 1872." "The building ...
      "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the ...
  • Building Second Avenue Bridge
        Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
      Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late ...
  • Parade Watching in Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
      Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
  • E.C. Spens Drug Store
        Edward C Spens, in his drugstore, dealt in a variety of items according to the Alpena City Directory. These included not only drugs, but paints, oils, and wallpaper.
      Edward C Spens, in his drugstore, dealt in a variety of items ...
  • Residential Area of Second Avenue
        Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing the residential portion as a wide, tree-lined street.
      Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing ...
  • Egg Day, Royal Theatre
        Egg Day at the Royal Theatre on Chisholm Street on April 20, 1914. On designated days, could bring a fresh egg as admission to a movie.
      Egg Day at the Royal Theatre on Chisholm Street on April 20, ...
  • Obed Smith School
        The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
      The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second ...
  • Churchill House
        Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
      Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a ...
  • Alpena Fire Department
        The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on the right. This is probably the second water pump purchased by the city in 1875. The first pump was the ...
      The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
        This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
      This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and ...
  • Steam Tractor
        Steam tractor with thresher and crew. This machinery saved a tremendous amount of labor for early farmers. The crew usually traveled from farm to farm with this equipment, charging a fee to the farmer.
      Steam tractor with thresher and crew. This machinery saved a tremendous amount ...
  • C. Moench & Sons Company
        "Near the latter part of June, 1895, Moench & Sons commenced the work erecting their new tannery at Campbellville (11th Avenue near the Washington Park). The site was donated by the city of Alpena and cost $6,000. It occupied the ground where the Potter lumber mill stood. The buildings erected ...
      "Near the latter part of June, 1895, Moench & Sons commenced the ...
  • Cedar Yard
        Horse drawn wagon with crew in cedar yard in Alpena, Michigan.
      Horse drawn wagon with crew in cedar yard in Alpena, Michigan.
  • Central Hotel
        Central Hotel was located on Lockwood Street between Second and Third Avenues.
      Central Hotel was located on Lockwood Street between Second and Third Avenues.
  • Long Lake Golf Club
        Long Lake, seven miles north of Alpena, Michigan, was a popular resort and sports destination. The golf course made it even more so.
      Long Lake, seven miles north of Alpena, Michigan, was a popular resort ...
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church
        St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled here from Sault Ste. Marie on snowshoes. Father Patrick Murray had the church, that is shown, built in 1866. It was located across the street from the present St. Bernard's Church.
      St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled ...
  • Pest House
        Communicable diseases were a threat in early Alpena. This building, referred to as the "Pest House," was used to quarantine patients. The name is derived from "pestilence," which refers to an infectious disease. The house was located on the grounds of the present hospital.
      Communicable diseases were a threat in early Alpena. This building, referred to ...
  • Hotel Cobden
        The Hotel Cobden began as the Golling House at 133 West River Street in Alpena. Charles Golling sold it and moved to Romeo, Michigan. In 1899, it was re-opened as the Hotel Caobden.
      The Hotel Cobden began as the Golling House at 133 West River ...
  • Mineral Bath House / Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Baldwin School
        The Baldwin School was built in 1884 and renovated several times. It was located on Baldwin Street between State and First Avenues.
      The Baldwin School was built in 1884 and renovated several times. It ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








Ann Taber Collection