Centennial Building, 1880, corner of 1st Avenue, Washington Avenue, and Chisholm Street, Alpena, Michigan.
c1870s Second Avenue Bridge, downtown Alpena, Michigan.
c1880 Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
April 23, 1923 Chisholm Street Bridge (Thunder Bay River) damaged from flood on April 23, 1923.
April 23, 1923 Ninth Street Bridge, Alpena, Michigan during flood on April 23, 1923.
c1900 Richardson Dam, originally Oldfield Dam, across the Thunder Bay River at Tenth Street in Alpena, Michigan.
1900 Richardson Dam across the Thunder Bay River in Alpena, Michigan. Match to Trelfa number 4-2061.
c1875 The second Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River in Alpena, Michigan. This bridge was built in 1872-73 and replaced in 1886.
c1890 Sleigh pulled by horses crossing the third Second Avenue Bridge heading into downtown Alpena, Michigan. This bridge across the Thunder Bay River was built in 1886. Cohen's Store (or Alpena Furniture Store) is in the background. St. Mary's Steeple (faint) is on far right.
c 1900 Greiling Brothers Company of Green Bay Wisconsin dredge DEFIANCE working in the Thunder Bay River in Alpena, Michigan. Herman A. and Charles H. Greiling became partners in 1894.
April 20, 1914 Egg Day at the Royal Theatre on Chisholm Street on April 20, 1914. On designated days, could bring a fresh egg as admission to a movie.
1925 1925 Parade "float" of cow-drawn carriage with three clown-dressed men. O'Callaghan Bros.
Welcome - Farmers
and - Guarantee
Bully Drug Store Service
c1910 Alpena Power Company's Ninth Street Dam Powerhouse (built 1909) across the Thunder Bay River, Alpena, Michigan.
c1890 Trowbridge Dam across the Thunder Bay River, Alpena County, Michigan. From Centennial History of Alpena County, Michigan (1892/1903) by David D. Oliver, page 31: "The Trowbridge dam slacks the water up the river a short distance above the North Branch, and the perpendicular fall of water from this...
c 1883 The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on the right. This is probably the second water pump purchased by the city in 1875. The first pump was the...
c 1900 Crystal Ice Company wagon in front of New York Saloon at an unknown location.
c 1888 Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April 8,...
1902 Edward C Spens, in his drugstore, dealt in a variety of items according to the Alpena City Directory. These included not only drugs, but paints, oils, and wallpaper.
c 1883 The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.