Ann Taber Collection


Records

Results

We found
124
matching items
Media Types
Images  
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Fletcher House
    Image       "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It was built by Mr. Geo. N. Fletcher, at a cost of about $50,000, and opened July 12, 1872." "The building ...
    Image     "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It ...
  • Building Second Avenue Bridge
    Image       Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
    Image     Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
  • Steam Tractor
    Image       Steam tractor with thresher and crew. This machinery saved a tremendous amount of labor for early farmers. The crew usually traveled from farm to farm with this equipment, charging a fee to the farmer.
    Image     Steam tractor with thresher and crew. This machinery saved a tremendous amount of labor for early farmers. The crew usually traveled from farm to farm with this equipment, charging a ...
  • C. Moench & Sons Company
    Image       "Near the latter part of June, 1895, Moench & Sons commenced the work erecting their new tannery at Campbellville (11th Avenue near the Washington Park). The site was donated by the city of Alpena and cost $6,000. It occupied the ground where the Potter lumber mill stood. The buildings erected ...
    Image     "Near the latter part of June, 1895, Moench & Sons commenced the work erecting their new tannery at Campbellville (11th Avenue near the Washington Park). The site was donated by ...
  • Cedar Yard
    Image       Horse drawn wagon with crew in cedar yard in Alpena, Michigan.
    Image     Horse drawn wagon with crew in cedar yard in Alpena, Michigan.
  • Central Hotel
    Image       Central Hotel was located on Lockwood Street between Second and Third Avenues.
    Image     Central Hotel was located on Lockwood Street between Second and Third Avenues.
  • Loggers, Horses, and Log Pile
    Image       Logging operation with loggers, horses, and log piles.
    Image     Logging operation with loggers, horses, and log piles.
  • Long Lake Golf Club
    Image       Long Lake, seven miles north of Alpena, Michigan, was a popular resort and sports destination. The golf course made it even more so.
    Image     Long Lake, seven miles north of Alpena, Michigan, was a popular resort and sports destination. The golf course made it even more so.
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church
    Image       St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled here from Sault Ste. Marie on snowshoes. Father Patrick Murray had the church, that is shown, built in 1866. It was located across the street from the present St. Bernard's Church.
    Image     St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled here from Sault Ste. Marie on snowshoes. Father Patrick Murray had the church, that is shown, built in ...
  • Pest House
    Image       Communicable diseases were a threat in early Alpena. This building, referred to as the "Pest House," was used to quarantine patients. The name is derived from "pestilence," which refers to an infectious disease. The house was located on the grounds of the present hospital.
    Image     Communicable diseases were a threat in early Alpena. This building, referred to as the "Pest House," was used to quarantine patients. The name is derived from "pestilence," which refers to ...
  • Hotel Cobden
    Image       The Hotel Cobden began as the Golling House at 133 West River Street in Alpena. Charles Golling sold it and moved to Romeo, Michigan. In 1899, it was re-opened as the Hotel Caobden.
    Image     The Hotel Cobden began as the Golling House at 133 West River Street in Alpena. Charles Golling sold it and moved to Romeo, Michigan. In 1899, it was re-opened as ...
  • Mineral Bath House / Fletcher Office Building
    Image       The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
    Image     The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on ...
  • Log Load on Sleigh
    Image       In order to make it easier to pull this gigantic load of logs, a water sprinkler tank wet the roadway to create a surface of ice.
    Image     In order to make it easier to pull this gigantic load of logs, a water sprinkler tank wet the roadway to create a surface of ice.
  • Baldwin School
    Image       The Baldwin School was built in 1884 and renovated several times. It was located on Baldwin Street between State and First Avenues.
    Image     The Baldwin School was built in 1884 and renovated several times. It was located on Baldwin Street between State and First Avenues.
  • Huron Beach Pavilion
    Image       "During July, 1895. the Huron Beach recreation company was organized and the company purchased a tract of land on the eastern shore of Alpena Township, in section three. On February 26, 1896, Samuel Boggs took a contract to build a pavilion at Huron Beach. And on July 15, the Huron ...
    Image     "During July, 1895. the Huron Beach recreation company was organized and the company purchased a tract of land on the eastern shore of Alpena Township, in section three. On February ...
  • Original County Jail
    Image       "In 1864 or 1865, the Board of Supervisors made a contract for clearing Jessie Square made a contract for clearing Jessie Square and erecting a suitable building for a jail. It was built on Chisholm street, and made of two-inch plank, doubled and fastened together with spikes driven close together. ...
    Image     "In 1864 or 1865, the Board of Supervisors made a contract for clearing Jessie Square made a contract for clearing Jessie Square and erecting a suitable building for a jail. ...
  • Railroad Depot
    Image       "This [railroad] depot was located on the south side of Fletcher Street between Dock Street (now N. Second Avenue) and Merchant Street. It was Alpena's passenger and freight depot until 1911 when the new passenger depot at Tenth Street was constructed." The Fire Station sits to the right, and a ...
    Image     "This [railroad] depot was located on the south side of Fletcher Street between Dock Street (now N. Second Avenue) and Merchant Street. It was Alpena's passenger and freight depot until ...
  • Engine House No. 1
    Image       "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910."
    Image     "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910."
  • Unidentified House or Hotel
    Imagemystery       Unidentified hotel or house with livery stable behind.
    Imagemystery     Unidentified hotel or house with livery stable behind.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Ann Taber Collection