Ann Taber Collection


Records

Results

We found
124
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Schooner in Thunder Bay River
    Imagemystery       An unknown three-mast schooner is docked at the Butterfield and Crable Mill near Dock Street (North Second Avenue) and the swing bridge in the Thunder Bay River.
    Imagemystery     An unknown three-mast schooner is docked at the Butterfield and Crable Mill near Dock Street (North Second Avenue) and the swing bridge in the Thunder Bay River.
  • Hutton Harness Shop
    Image       "Edward Hutton, harness maker [was] a native of Windsor, Canada, where he learned the trade of harness making and engaged in business. In the Summer of 1867 he came to Alpena and the following year opened a harness shop in a small frame building near the Comstock Block...He afterward moved ...
    Image     "Edward Hutton, harness maker [was] a native of Windsor, Canada, where he learned the trade of harness making and engaged in business. In the Summer of 1867 he came to ...
  • Second Avenue Bridge
    Image       Second Avenue Bridge, downtown Alpena, Michigan.
    Image     Second Avenue Bridge, downtown Alpena, Michigan.
  • Fletcher House
    Image       "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It was built by Mr. Geo. N. Fletcher, at a cost of about $50,000, and opened July 12, 1872." "The building ...
    Image     "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It ...
  • Second Avenue Bridge
    Image       The second Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River in Alpena, Michigan. This bridge was built in 1872-73 and replaced in 1886.
    Image     The second Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River in Alpena, Michigan. This bridge was built in 1872-73 and replaced in 1886.
  • William Boulton
    Image       "William Boulton was born in England in 1848 and emigrated to Canada...in 1855, later moving to Port Huron, Michigan. In June 1864, at age sixteen, Mr. Boulton arrived in Alpena, Michigan, then a village of 674 persons, on the steamer FORREST QUEEN, and began working in the mills...In early 1865...he ...
    Image     "William Boulton was born in England in 1848 and emigrated to Canada...in 1855, later moving to Port Huron, Michigan. In June 1864, at age sixteen, Mr. Boulton arrived in Alpena, ...
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church
    Image       St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled here from Sault Ste. Marie on snowshoes. Father Patrick Murray had the church, that is shown, built in 1866. It was located across the street from the present St. Bernard's Church.
    Image     St. Bernard's Parish had its beginning in 1861 when Bishop Baraga traveled here from Sault Ste. Marie on snowshoes. Father Patrick Murray had the church, that is shown, built in ...
  • Building Second Avenue Bridge
    Image       Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
    Image     Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
  • Centennial Block
    Image       Centennial Building, 1880, corner of 1st Avenue, Washington Avenue, and Chisholm Street, Alpena, Michigan.
    Image     Centennial Building, 1880, corner of 1st Avenue, Washington Avenue, and Chisholm Street, Alpena, Michigan.
  • Engine House No. 1
    Image       "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910."
    Image     "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910."
  • Obed Smith School
    Image       The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
    Image     The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
  • Alpena Fire Department
    Image       The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on the right. This is probably the second water pump purchased by the city in 1875. The first pump was the ...
    Image     The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on ...
  • Engine House No. 1
    Image       "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910." City Hall was once in this building.
    Image     "Engine House No. 1...was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street at Third Avenue. It burned on Oct. 2, 1910." City Hall was once in this building.
  • Franklin School
    Image       in 1880, the three-room Franklin School was built for $1,350; another room was added in 1884 for $1,824. The school was located on Lockwood Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. After closing, the building was used as a parish hall by St. Anne's Church.
    Image     in 1880, the three-room Franklin School was built for $1,350; another room was added in 1884 for $1,824. The school was located on Lockwood Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. ...
  • Alpena Railway Depot
    Image       The Detroit, Bay City, and Alpena Railway Company Depot located near the corner of Werth and Piper Roads. This was the first train depot in Alpena.
    Image     The Detroit, Bay City, and Alpena Railway Company Depot located near the corner of Werth and Piper Roads. This was the first train depot in Alpena.
  • Sells Brothers' Circus Parade
    Image       Sells Brothers' Circus Parade traveling down Second Avenue through Downtown Alpena on Saturday, May 21, 1887.
    Image     Sells Brothers' Circus Parade traveling down Second Avenue through Downtown Alpena on Saturday, May 21, 1887.
  • Railroad Depot
    Image       "This [railroad] depot was located on the south side of Fletcher Street between Dock Street (now N. Second Avenue) and Merchant Street. It was Alpena's passenger and freight depot until 1911 when the new passenger depot at Tenth Street was constructed." The Fire Station sits to the right, and a ...
    Image     "This [railroad] depot was located on the south side of Fletcher Street between Dock Street (now N. Second Avenue) and Merchant Street. It was Alpena's passenger and freight depot until ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Thunder Bay River Scene
    Image       Ships in the Thunder Bay River below Second Avenue Bridge.
    Image     Ships in the Thunder Bay River below Second Avenue Bridge.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Ann Taber Collection