Knechtel Collection
Records

Results

We found
167
matching items
Geographic Location
Alpena
  
Collections
Knechtel Collection
  
  • Funeral Procession
        Believed to be a funeral procession in downtown Alpena along Second Avenue heading south toward Chisholm Street. Photographer is looking north. The Second Avenue Bridge can be seen at the far end.
      Believed to be a funeral procession in downtown Alpena along Second Avenue ...
  • Parade in Downtown Alpena
        July 4th Parade in downtown Alpena on Second Avenue, looking south towards Chisholm Street.
      July 4th Parade in downtown Alpena on Second Avenue, looking south towards ...
  • Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
      Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) ...
  • Parade Watching in Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
      Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
  • Early Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
      Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the ...
  • Northern Extract Company
        Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
      Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam ...
  • Flood of 1923
        In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 record high. The Chisholm Street and Ninth Street bridges collapsed. Homes near Ninth Street and Washington Avenue were surrounded by water, and residents evacuated.
      In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 ...
  • Owl Cafe
        When the original Owl Cafe, on the corner of Chisholm Street and Second Avenue, burned in 1927, it was rebuilt less than a block down on the opposite side of Chisholm Street. This picture shows it before a gas blast in the cellar destroyed the building in 1959.
      When the original Owl Cafe, on the corner of Chisholm Street and ...
  • Franklin School Students
        Construction of the Franklin School began on July 28, 1880. Located on Lockwood Street, the building was later used as St. Anne's Catholic Church Parish Hall.
      Construction of the Franklin School began on July 28, 1880. Located on ...
  • Alpena Portland Cement Company
        Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement Company began production in 1901. It was located on the bay just north of the city limits. After closing for seasonal repairs in 1909, the company never reopened.
      Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement ...
  • Linke's Greenhouse and Girl on Penny-farthing
        This girl (Linke?) is riding a penny-farthing next to the Linke's Greenhouse on Lincoln Street. The bicycle was donated by Arthur Linke to the Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan, where it can be seen today.
      This girl (Linke?) is riding a penny-farthing next to the Linke's Greenhouse ...
  • Linke's Greenhouse
        Young girl standing in Linke's Greenhouse.
      Young girl standing in Linke's Greenhouse.
  • Michigan Alkali Quarry
        The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first shipment of limestone left in 1903. There was much waste in their production. J. B. Ford, Vice-President of the company, found a solution - make cement from the "waste." The Huron Portland Cement Company was formed, and cement ...
      The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
        By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
      By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up ...
  • Union Hotel Kitchen
        The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of Alpena. One was located in the Union Hotel at the junction of W. Washington and Second Avenues. Edward Fitzpatrick was the owner.
      The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
        Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
      Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant ...
  • Widdis Bus
        Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any part of the city"...Special attention given to theatrical and traveling men's baggage"..."Notice: look for the new jitney bus and baggage ...
      Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students
        St. Paul Lutheran Church School students taken next to the church which burned on March 29, 1923. Arthur Linke is shown in the back row, far right, c 1900.
      St. Paul Lutheran Church School students taken next to the church which ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Submarine U097 at Thunder Bay Milling Company Dock
        This captured WWI German submarine was part of a traveling exhibit in 1919. It is docked in this image at the Thunder Bay Milling Company dock in the Thunder Bay River. A WWI tank was also on exhibit.
      This captured WWI German submarine was part of a traveling exhibit in ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








Knechtel Collection