Knechtel Collection


Records

Results

We found
109
matching items
Collections
Knechtel Collection
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church (first)
    ImageCollection       The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The new church was built between 1880 and 1883.
    ImageCollection     The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The ...
  • Early Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
    Image     Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
  • Union School
    Image       The construction of the Union School began in 1868 and was completed in 1870. It was located on the block between First, Second, Dunbar, and White Streets. It was comprised of primary, secondary, junior, and senior classes. It was replaced by three other school buildings throughout the 1900s. The block ...
    Image     The construction of the Union School began in 1868 and was completed in 1870. It was located on the block between First, Second, Dunbar, and White Streets. It was comprised ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
    Image     This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron ...
  • Churchill Lumber Company
    Image       W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it cut 17,250,000 feet of lumber and about 5,000,000 feet of lath. The firm also had a store and a wagon ...
    Image     W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it ...
  • Thunder Bay River
    ImageCollection       The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched along the river banks.
    ImageCollection     The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched along the river banks.
  • Alpena Fire Department
    Image       The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on the right. This is probably the second water pump purchased by the city in 1875. The first pump was the ...
    Image     The Alpena Fire Department. This picture is believed to have been taken on Water Street, between Second and Third Avenues, around 1883, as noted by the McMasters Harness Ship on ...
  • Trinity Episcopal Church
    Image       The original Trinity Episcopal Church was built on Washington Avenue off of Chisholm Street in 1867. This new church was dedicated on June 29, 1884.
    Image     The original Trinity Episcopal Church was built on Washington Avenue off of Chisholm Street in 1867. This new church was dedicated on June 29, 1884.
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
    Image       Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
    Image     Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
    Image     Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left ...
  • Globe Hotel
    Image       The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm Street and burned in the 1970s.
    Image     The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm ...
  • Thunder Bay River
    ImageCollection       The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing stacks of lumber along the river's edge waiting for transport.
    ImageCollection     The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing stacks of lumber along the river's edge waiting for transport.
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Downtown view from Culligan Block - Chisholm Street looking toward First Avenue and Thunder Bay. The Churchill House is in the background on the left. The Centennial Building on right. August 1886.
    Image     Downtown view from Culligan Block - Chisholm Street looking toward First Avenue and Thunder Bay. The Churchill House is in the background on the left. The Centennial Building on right. ...
  • Alpena County Jail
    ImageCollection       The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of $10,000.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of ...
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Chisholm Street, looking West, Alpena, Mich.
    Image     Chisholm Street, looking West, Alpena, Mich.
  • Log Pile and Crew
    Image       Lumber camp crew posing with horse teams and large log pile. Possible Fletcher lumber camp.
    Image     Lumber camp crew posing with horse teams and large log pile. Possible Fletcher lumber camp.
  • Fletcher Camp - Loading Logs On Pile
    Image       Loggers loading logs on pile at Fletcher lumber camp in the summer.
    Image     Loggers loading logs on pile at Fletcher lumber camp in the summer.
  • Downtown Alpena
    ImageCollection       Second Avenue, looking south, in Downtown Alpena. Maltz Theatre is on the left.
    ImageCollection     Second Avenue, looking south, in Downtown Alpena. Maltz Theatre is on the left.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Knechtel Collection