- Media Type
- Item Type
- View of the front of the U.S. Federal Building taken from the lawn of City Hall in Alpena, Michigan. The cannon from the USS MAINE is center (dedicated on July 4, 1912).
- This elegant example of Renaissance Revival architecture was constructed during 1911-1912. The Federal Building is executed in brick faced with smooth ashlar. A balustrade tops the modillioned cornice. The upper story contains small paired rectangular window openings, the first semicircular arched windows with compound arches, keystones, and Palladian fanlights. The main entrance is approached by a staircase and enriched by elaborate iron pilasters and entablature. The interior, especially the first floor, contains vaulted ceilings, Corinthian pilasters, and iron grill work. The Federal Building housed Alpena's post office from 1913 until the mid 1950s. 145 Water Street.
- Post Office from City Hall, Alpena, Mich.
- Date of Original
Width: 2979 px
Height: 2552 px
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 2979px
Image Height: 2552px
- Federal Building Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Michigan, United States
Latitude: 45.0626196966908 Longitude: -83.4304433002472
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Special Collections, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
- Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address211 N. First Ave.
Alpena, Michigan 49707