Daniel, Sarah, and Mary Carter were Alpena's pioneer family arriving in 1856. Daniel helped organize the county and served as the first postmaster. Sarah was familiar with medicines and the treatment of the sick. She treated many people until the first doctor arrived in 1862. Daughter Mary taught the first school in Alpena. The Carter House was built in 1860 on Chisholm Street and was dismantled in 1960.