Alpena Central High School
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Alpena Central High School c1939
- A little history
The Union School was completed in 1868 on the block of Second and Dunbar Street.
However, the town continued to grow. The board determined the school was not large enough. So in 1889 the Union School was demolished making way for the new School.
Alpena Central High School was completed in 1891. It contained Fourth to Sixth grade on the first floor and High School classes were on the second floor.
A Study Hall, a stage, more classrooms, a library, gymnasium, and an office for the school nurse was added in the 1920’s. The community was very proud of their school.
The community was devastated when the school burned down on April 14, 1940.
Classes were then held in local buildings like the Memorial Hall, the Boys Club, the Civic League and the American Legion. 10 days after the school burned the children were attending their classes again.
This picture was taken one year before the school burned.
- Date of Publication:
Width: 6357 px
Height: 3936 px
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 6357px
Image Height: 3936px
- Ken Smith Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Michigan, United States
- Ken Smith
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ken Smith Collection, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
Agency street/mail address
211 N. First Ave.
Alpena, Michigan 49707