Alpena County Courthouse
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The Alpena County Courthouse c1950
- The Alpena County Courthouse (located at 720 Chisholm Avenue, Alpena, MI., between Eighth and Ninth Streets) was burned down twice. The first time was on December 12, 1870 and the second time was on December 22, 1932.
This courthouse was built in 1934 and opened on October 21, 1935. The money to build the courthouse came from bonds and WPA (also known as Works Progress Administration).
Architect, William H. Kuni, from Detroit, designed this building. It was built by Henry C. Webber Construction Co. It was made of “Poured concrete” from limestone. The limestone itself was obtained from the local area.
“...with its flat roof, vertical bays, fluted and reeded pilasters, steel-sashed windows, and eagle-topped, parapet-mounted clock. Sculptural decoration depicts the appropriate figures of Law and Justice; and the fascia designs show images of the county’s lumbering, shipbuilding, farming, fishing and recreational industries. The interior vestibule and lobby are decorated with zig-zag and chevron motifs and a terrazzo floor inlaid with geometric patterns; an aluminum stairway with travertine marble treads has an art glass window at the landing; and the courtroom is trimmed in walnut.”
Excerpt from: “Buildings of Michigan” by Kathryn Bishop Eckert
Known to be the first monolithic (meaning impenetrable) building constructed in a wintry region. Up until then, it was impossible to build in the cold weather. Using Portland cement made it possible to work in the cold. It was an answer for winter jobs during the Great Depression.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 1983
- Date of Publication:
Width: 6694 px
Height: 4032 px
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 6694px
Image Height: 4032px
- Ken Smith Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Michigan, United States
- Ken Smith
- Recommended Citation:
- Ken Smith Collection, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
Agency street/mail address
211 N. First Ave.
Alpena, Michigan 49707