Results

We found
196
matching items
Geographic Location
Alpena
  
Decade
1890-1899
  
  • Log Marks
        Log mark or marks for Eales Brothers and Co. in Alpena, Michigan, 1898.
      Log mark or marks for Eales Brothers and Co. in Alpena, Michigan, ...
  • Log Marks
        Log mark or marks for Huron Handle and Lumber Co. in Alpena, Michigan, 1899 & 1911.
      Log mark or marks for Huron Handle and Lumber Co. in Alpena, ...
  • Penny Farthing Bicycle
        Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. The photograph is circa 1890, and the photographer is Lawson of Alpena. Bicycles were extremely popular, and there were several bicycle clubs in Alpena.
      Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Engine House No. 1
        Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
      Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 ...
  • Hemlock
        Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
      Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid ...
  • Peter Luther Shipping Tag
        Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies made use of the remaining cedar and hardwoods. Items made included tool handles and spools. Peter H. Luther made cedar gill net floats, buoys, baskets covers, and bottoms - all for the commercial fishing business. Peter was a ...
      Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies ...
  • Northern Extract Company
        Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
      Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
        By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
      By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up ...
  • Widdis Bus
        Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any part of the city"...Special attention given to theatrical and traveling men's baggage"..."Notice: look for the new jitney bus and baggage ...
      Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Taber Tannery Crew
        The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of Thunder Bay River, near the Ninth Street Dam and railroad, close to the hemlock extract works. It was named the Alpena Hide and Leather Tannery. Production began when a shipment of 1,400 hides arrived from Brazil.
      The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of ...
  • Vessels JOHN T. GREENE and RALPH at mouth of Thunder Bay River
        The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River in 1894. The RALPH was one of a small fleet of tugs owned by the Gilchrist and Fletcher Company. AT the time of the photograph, the GREENE was owned by D.D. Ludwig ...
      The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the ...
  • Residential Area of Second Avenue
        Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing the residential portion as a wide, tree-lined street.
      Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church
        This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, and destroyed by fire on March 29, 1923. The current building replaced it 3 years later.
      This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, ...
  • Mystic Shrine
        The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly known as the Shriners, the full name of this fraternal organization is the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
      The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly ...
  • Obed Smith School Students
        Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The school was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
      Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students, 1895
        The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School in 1895 pictured outside of the church.
      The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School in 1895 pictured ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students, 1899
        The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School on March 24, 1899 pictured outside of the church.
      The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School on March 24, ...
  • Potter's Dock
        Potter Lumber Company was one of many mills that lined the Thunder Bay River. Each mill had its own dock for loading lumber to be shipped to market.
      Potter Lumber Company was one of many mills that lined the Thunder ...
  • Unknown Candy & Soda Shop
        This elegant candy and soda shop featured a marble soda fountain along a candy counter, both with cabinets behind. The glass display jars are particularly nice.
      This elegant candy and soda shop featured a marble soda fountain along ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit