Results

We found
251
matching items
Decade
1890-1899
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Penny Farthing Bicycle
    Image       Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. The photograph is circa 1890, and the photographer is Lawson of Alpena. Bicycles were extremely popular, and there were several bicycle clubs in Alpena.
    Image     Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. The photograph is circa 1890, and the photographer is Lawson of Alpena. Bicycles were extremely popular, and there ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Engine House No. 1
    Image       Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
    Image     Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
  • Hemlock
    Image       Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
    Image     Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
  • Peter Luther Shipping Tag
    Image       Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies made use of the remaining cedar and hardwoods. Items made included tool handles and spools. Peter H. Luther made cedar gill net floats, buoys, baskets covers, and bottoms - all for the commercial fishing business. Peter was a ...
    Image     Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies made use of the remaining cedar and hardwoods. Items made included tool handles and spools. Peter H. Luther ...
  • Northern Extract Company
    Image       Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
    Image     Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. ...
  • Infant Portrait
    Image       Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 9 months of ago, c 1890.
    Image     Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 9 months of ago, c 1890.
  • Toddler Portrait
    Image       Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 2 years of ago, c 1892.
    Image     Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 2 years of ago, c 1892.
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
    Image       By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
    Image     By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of ...
  • Chief E. A. Westrope & Alpena Woodman Degree Team
    Image       The Woodmen of the World is a fraternal organization for those engaged in the part of the timber industry. The Alpena branch was known as the Huron Shores Woodmen, and may have been headed by Chief of Police Edward A. Westrope (1891-1894)[front row, first on right].
    Image     The Woodmen of the World is a fraternal organization for those engaged in the part of the timber industry. The Alpena branch was known as the Huron Shores Woodmen, and ...
  • John A. Lau Saloon Interior
    Image       Interior of the John A. Lau Saloon on North Second Avenue.
    Image     Interior of the John A. Lau Saloon on North Second Avenue.
  • Widdis Bus
    Image       Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any part of the city"...Special attention given to theatrical and traveling men's baggage"..."Notice: look for the new jitney bus and baggage ...
    Image     Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any ...
  • Young Woman Portrait
    Image       Unknown young woman from the Linke or Knechtel Family.
    Image     Unknown young woman from the Linke or Knechtel Family.
  • Fletcher Office Building
    Image       The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
    Image     The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on ...
  • Lighting or Heating Device
    Image       Lighting or Heating Device possibly used in the Taber Tannery.
    Image     Lighting or Heating Device possibly used in the Taber Tannery.
  • Taber Tannery Crew
    Image       The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of Thunder Bay River, near the Ninth Street Dam and railroad, close to the hemlock extract works. It was named the Alpena Hide and Leather Tannery. Production began when a shipment of 1,400 hides arrived from Brazil.
    Image     The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of Thunder Bay River, near the Ninth Street Dam and railroad, close to the hemlock extract works. It was ...
  • Vessels JOHN T. GREENE and RALPH at mouth of Thunder Bay River
    Image       The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River in 1894. The RALPH was one of a small fleet of tugs owned by the Gilchrist and Fletcher Company. AT the time of the photograph, the GREENE was owned by D.D. Ludwig ...
    Image     The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River in 1894. The RALPH was one of a small fleet of tugs ...
  • Residential Area of Second Avenue
    Image       Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing the residential portion as a wide, tree-lined street.
    Image     Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing the residential portion as a wide, tree-lined street.
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church
    Image       This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, and destroyed by fire on March 29, 1923. The current building replaced it 3 years later.
    Image     This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, and destroyed by fire on March 29, 1923. The current building replaced it 3 years later.
  • Mystic Shrine
    Image       The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly known as the Shriners, the full name of this fraternal organization is the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
    Image     The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly known as the Shriners, the full name of this fraternal organization is the Ancient Arabic Order of the ...
  • Obed Smith School Students
    Image       Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The school was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
    Image     Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The school was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit