Results

We found
65
matching items
Geographic Location
Alpena
  
Decade
1920-1929
  
  • Chisholm Street Bridge
        Chisholm Street Bridge. The City Ice House or the Dehring Bottling Company is the building in the background. This bridge was damaged from a Spring flood in 1923, but not replaced until 1932 when it was renamed the George Washington Memorial Bridge.
      Chisholm Street Bridge. The City Ice House or the Dehring Bottling Company ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Businesses destroyed included the Owl Cafe, Gavagan and Company Confectionery, and Blackburn and Company Insurance. The intense heat from the fire cracked and broke the windows in all nearby buildings.
      On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): "lines on top of the Bertrand Building cor Chisholm and Second Ave There are 4 streams o this roof I made a cross where the too you can not see verry well is. We had 9 lines on ...
      Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Fire Engine
        Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
      Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
  • Parade in Downtown Alpena
        July 4th Parade in downtown Alpena on Second Avenue, looking south towards Chisholm Street.
      July 4th Parade in downtown Alpena on Second Avenue, looking south towards ...
  • Flood of 1923
        In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 record high. The Chisholm Street and Ninth Street bridges collapsed. Homes near Ninth Street and Washington Avenue were surrounded by water, and residents evacuated.
      In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • School Students
        Probably St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students posing outside of new church building, c 1926.
      Probably St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students posing outside of new church ...
  • St. Anne's Catholic Church and School
        The St. Anne's Catholic Church burned on August 4, 1907. It took 13 years to rebuild to the same specifications is the French Romanesque style. Hillarie Gagnon supervised the construction. The steeples were new to the new building. The brick school was also added.
      The St. Anne's Catholic Church burned on August 4, 1907. It took ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church Fire
        Tragedy struck on Maundy Thursday, March 29, 1923 when the original St. Paul Lutheran Church was completely destroyed by fire.
      Tragedy struck on Maundy Thursday, March 29, 1923 when the original St. ...
  • Woman and girl amongst Rosebushes
        Unidentified woman and child in front of rosebushes at the side of a house. Believed to be of Linke Family in Alpena...Margaret Linke is probably the young girl.
      Unidentified woman and child in front of rosebushes at the side of ...
  • Site of Alpena General Hospital
        "Site of Alpena General Hospital, 1923"
      "Site of Alpena General Hospital, 1923"
  • West of the Ninth Street Dam along the Thunder Bay River
        "West Ninth Street Dam, April 1923"
      "West Ninth Street Dam, April 1923"
  • A Partridge
        "Partridge on N. [North] Point Rd. June 14, 1925"
      "Partridge on N. [North] Point Rd. June 14, 1925"
  • A Ground Hog
        "Ground Hog on Spratt Road, 1927"
      "Ground Hog on Spratt Road, 1927"
  • Island Mill Lumber Company, Mill & Banking Grounds
        "Island Mill Lumber Company, Mill & Banking Grounds. Thunder Bay River, Below 9th Street Bridge, 1923"
      "Island Mill Lumber Company, Mill & Banking Grounds. Thunder Bay River, Below ...
  • Thunder Bay River
        "Channel back of Middle Ground, 1920"
      "Channel back of Middle Ground, 1920"
  • Holmes & Reynolds - Alpine Block, Downtown Alpena
        "Owl Cafe, west corner of Second and Chisholm Street, burned February 18, 1927. Holmes & Reynolds - Alpine Block"
      "Owl Cafe, west corner of Second and Chisholm Street, burned February 18, ...
  • Michikewis Bathing Pavilion
        On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal opening of the bathing pavilion.
      On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to ...
  • Funeral for Reverend Thomas D. Flannery
        The funeral procession at St. Bernard's Catholic Church for Reverend Father Thomas Dowd Flannery, who died January 4, 1921. Father Flannery was born in County Sligo, Ireland, on February 9, 1852 and immigrated to America in 1873. He was ordained on June 7, 1879 and transferred to Alpena on November ...
      The funeral procession at St. Bernard's Catholic Church for Reverend Father Thomas ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit