Results

We found
520
matching items
Contributors
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
    AudioImageTextCollection       This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
    AudioImageTextCollection     This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
    Image     Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left ...
  • Early Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
    Image     Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
    Image       By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
    Image     By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
    Image       Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
    Image     Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
    Image     Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
    Image     This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron ...
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Clowns
    ImageCollection       Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
    ImageCollection     Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Michikewis Bathing Pavilion
    ImageCollection       On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal opening of the bathing pavilion.
    ImageCollection     On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal ...
  • Alpena County Jail
    ImageCollection       The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of $10,000.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of ...
  • Alpena County Savings Bank
    Imagecomment       The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The building pictured was a branch location on the corner of W. Chisholm and N. Ninth Avenue that operated from 1922 ...
    Imagecomment     The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The ...
  • Alpena Business College
    ImageCollection       The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River Street, operated from about 1899 to 1920. Mrs. Mary Veenfliet was the proprietor.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River Street, operated from about 1899 to 1920. Mrs. Mary Veenfliet was the proprietor.
  • Alpena Board of Commerce Band
    ImageCollection       The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of City Hall.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of City Hall.
  • Beck's Brewery
    ImageCollection       Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue in the center of the block between Chisholm Street and Park Place. If was owned by John Beck. Prohibition halted production in 1918. After being a storage building for numerous years, the building was razed in 1957.
    ImageCollection     Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue in the center of the block between Chisholm Street and Park Place. If was owned by John Beck. ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    ImageCollection       Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to the right. St. Mary's Catholic Church steeple is in the far background.
    ImageCollection     Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to the right. St. Mary's Catholic Church steeple is in the far background.
  • Alpena Industrial Works
    ImageText       Alpena City Directory ad for Alpena Industrial Works near the turn of the century.
    ImageText     Alpena City Directory ad for Alpena Industrial Works near the turn of the century.
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church (first)
    ImageCollection       The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The new church was built between 1880 and 1883.
    ImageCollection     The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit