Results

We found
520
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
    AudioImageTextCollection       This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
    AudioImageTextCollection     This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history ...
  • Clown Wagon in 1925 Parade
    ImageCollection       O'Callaghan Bros. Welcome - Farmers and - Guarantee Bully Drug Store Service
    ImageCollection     O'Callaghan Bros. Welcome - Farmers and - Guarantee Bully Drug Store Service
  • C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company
    Image       C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west of Alpena.
    Image     C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west ...
  • Ed Kositchek and Son
    Image       Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their store was located at 119 South Second Avenue.
    Image     Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their ...
  • St. Mary's Church
    Image       St. Mary's Church, located on North Second Avenue, was dedicated On February 21, 1886. This picture was taken sometime in the early 1900s with Joseph Ayotte pictured on the steeple doing repair work.
    Image     St. Mary's Church, located on North Second Avenue, was dedicated On February 21, 1886. This picture was taken sometime in the early 1900s with Joseph Ayotte pictured on the steeple ...
  • Dege's Garage Next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena
    Image       Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
    Image     Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Alpena Board of Commerce Band
    ImageCollection       The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of City Hall.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of City Hall.
  • Alpena Business College
    ImageCollection       The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River Street, operated from about 1899 to 1920. Mrs. Mary Veenfliet was the proprietor.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River Street, operated from about 1899 to 1920. Mrs. Mary Veenfliet was the proprietor.
  • Churchill House
    ImageCollection       Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
    ImageCollection     Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away ...
  • Clowns
    ImageCollection       Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
    ImageCollection     Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
  • Alpena County Savings Bank
    Image       The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The building pictured was a branch location on the corner of W. Chisholm and N. Ninth Avenue that operated from 1922 ...
    Image     The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The ...
  • Alpena County Jail
    ImageCollection       The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of $10,000.
    ImageCollection     The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of ...
  • Michikewis Bathing Pavilion
    ImageCollection       On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal opening of the bathing pavilion.
    ImageCollection     On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal ...
  • Alpena Industrial Works
    ImageText       Alpena City Directory ad for Alpena Industrial Works near the turn of the century.
    ImageText     Alpena City Directory ad for Alpena Industrial Works near the turn of the century.
  • Downtown Alpena
    ImageCollection       Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to the right. St. Mary's Catholic Church steeple is in the far background.
    ImageCollection     Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to the right. St. Mary's Catholic Church steeple is in the far background.
  • Beck's Brewery
    ImageCollection       Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue in the center of the block between Chisholm Street and Park Place. If was owned by John Beck. Prohibition halted production in 1918. After being a storage building for numerous years, the building was razed in 1957.
    ImageCollection     Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue in the center of the block between Chisholm Street and Park Place. If was owned by John Beck. ...
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church (first)
    ImageCollection       The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The new church was built between 1880 and 1883.
    ImageCollection     The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
  • Huey Campbell
    Image       Huey Campbell at the old dumping grounds in Alpena in 1959.
    Image     Huey Campbell at the old dumping grounds in Alpena in 1959.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit