December 10, 1936 Burning of the third floor of St. Anne's School on December 10, 1936.
c 1910 Elementary students as Cass School. The Cass School was located on Sable Street, between Fifth and Sixth Streets. It is currently a private residence. Boy in exact center is noted as "Oliver."
c 1930 The Cass School was located on Sable Street, between Fifth and Sixth Streets. It is currently a private residence.
1871 The construction of the Union School began in 1868 and was completed in 1870. It was located on the block between First, Second, Dunbar, and White Streets. It was comprised of primary, secondary, junior, and senior classes. It was replaced by three other school buildings throughout the 1900s. ...
c 1900 The Alpena Central High School replaced the Union School and was built in 1891 at a cost of $31,800. Grades 4, 5, and 6 were on the first floor, while the high school was on the second floor.
c 1950 Unknown building. Labelled as Garfield School, but believed to be labelled wrong.
c 1900 Lockwood Elementary School students. Lockwood school was located at 234 West Lewis Street in Alpena, Michigan.
c 1935 Construction of the Franklin School began on July 28, 1880. Located on Lockwood Street, the building was later used as St. Anne's Catholic Church Parish Hall.
c 1900 St. Paul Lutheran Church School students taken next to the church which burned on March 29, 1923. Arthur Linke is shown in the back row, far right, c 1900.
c 1895 Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The school was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
1895 The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School in 1895 pictured outside of the church. Numbers noted on picture indicate 1) Erwin Wendt (front row). 2) Arthur Wendt (3rd row). 3) Flora Wendt (2nd row).
1899 The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School on March 24, 1899 pictured outside of the church. Front row, left to right:
1. Else Gehrke
2. G. Werner
3. M. (Millie?) Fabianski
4. Ida Gehrke
5. Lena Baum
6. Elsa Gapski
7. Ida Igatske
8. Martha Kollin
9. Lena? Werner
c 1900 The Jefferson School was built on the corner of Oldfield and Pine Streets prior to 1883 and was originally named just the Third Ward School. By 1887, it had become the Jefferson School. On March 10, 1888, the original building burned, and a new, larger Queen Anne Style school was built in its...
c 1912 A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. Children were born between 1900 and 1904.
c 1900 The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 and was first named the Garfield School. It was located on Washington Avenue. The school was destroyed by fire in 1946.
c 1883 The Obed Smith School was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
c 1896 Lockwood School was built in the 1890s with three rooms being added in 1895. The upper story burned in 1918 and was not replaced. It was located on the southeast corner of of Fourth and Lewis Streets.
c 1890 The Baldwin School was built in 1884 and renovated several times. It was located on Baldwin Street between State and First Avenues.
c 1885 in 1880, the three-room Franklin School was built for $1,350; another room was added in 1884 for $1,824. The school was located on Lockwood Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. After closing, the building was used as a parish hall by St. Anne's Church.
c 1900 Alpena Central High School. "The new building was modern as of the period...it had a circular tower of stone cut in the Alpena stone quarries. The old bell...was installed in the tower. The front of the building was of cut stone and the remainder brick. It was a two-story building with a...