Results

We found
947
matching items
Media Types
Images  
  
Geographic Location
Alpena
  
  • Ninth Street Dam
        (Reverse) Postmarked Aug. 23, 1913, 2:30pm, Alpena, Mich. To: Miss Floral Erdman, Mulliken, Mich. Dear Floral,-'Am glad you passed your grade How is grandma and grandpa Love to them. We are all quite well. Hope this finds you all well. Are you going to school this fall? Wish you could ...
      (Reverse) Postmarked Aug. 23, 1913, 2:30pm, Alpena, Mich. To: Miss Floral Erdman, ...
  • Ninth Street Dam
        Alpena Power Company, Ninth Street Dam and Power Plant, Alpena, Michigan.
      Alpena Power Company, Ninth Street Dam and Power Plant, Alpena, Michigan.
  • Chisholm Street Bridge
        Chisholm Street Bridge. The City Ice House or the Dehring Bottling Company is the building in the background. This bridge was damaged from a Spring flood in 1923, but not replaced until 1932 when it was renamed the George Washington Memorial Bridge.
      Chisholm Street Bridge. The City Ice House or the Dehring Bottling Company ...
  • Fletcher House
        "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the accommodations of Summer visitors. The discovery of the mineral springs led to the building of this hotel. It was built by Mr. Geo. N. Fletcher, at a cost of about $50,000, and opened July 12, 1872." "The building ...
      "This building is an immense structure, and intended more especially for the ...
  • Building Second Avenue Bridge
        Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late 1800s. Downtown Alpena, Michigan. Looking south.
      Building the third Second Avenue Bridge across the Thunder Bay River, late ...
  • Old Foot Bridge to Breaking Gap, Thunder Bay River
        Old foot bridge to the breaking gap on the Thunder Bay River, Alpena, Michigan, 1908.
      Old foot bridge to the breaking gap on the Thunder Bay River, ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Businesses destroyed included the Owl Cafe, Gavagan and Company Confectionery, and Blackburn and Company Insurance. The intense heat from the fire cracked and broke the windows in all nearby buildings.
      On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the ...
  • Penny Farthing Bicycle
        Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. The photograph is circa 1890, and the photographer is Lawson of Alpena. Bicycles were extremely popular, and there were several bicycle clubs in Alpena.
      Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. ...
  • Boys' Club Model Plane Builders
        Front of Postcard: Constructive Leisure Time at the Boys' Club Model Plane Builders Back of Postcard: Postmark: Alpena, Mich., Apr 20, 1934, 6:30a. To: R.E. Wilson, 3rd Ave. & River, Alpena, Michigan The Boys' Club Keeps Them Busy One hundred and fifty one boys have been given instructions n various ...
      Front of Postcard: Constructive Leisure Time at the Boys' Club Model Plane ...
  • Huron Cement Plant
        The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This industry gave a tremendous boost to Alpena's economy after the end of the lumber era. It was once the World's Largest Cement Plant. It is now owned by Lafarge North America.
      The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This ...
  • Churchill School Students
        A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. Children were born between 1900 and 1904.
      A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. ...
  • Churchill School Teachers
        The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 and was first named the Garfield School. It was located on Washington Avenue. The school was destroyed by fire in 1946.
      The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 ...
  • Dunbar Street Home
        This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, owner of the Howe Music Shop and later, Alpena City Clerk. This home is located at 215 E. Dunbar Street. The first floor was finished with Mission-style oak. Maud Stewart Howe, Herbert's wife, is the woman seated in ...
      This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): "lines on top of the Bertrand Building cor Chisholm and Second Ave There are 4 streams o this roof I made a cross where the too you can not see verry well is. We had 9 lines on ...
      Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Engine House No. 1
        Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
      Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Fire Engine
        Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
      Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Hemlock
        Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
      Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid ...
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
1820s1820182118221823182418251826182718281829
1830s1830183118321833183418351836183718381839
18401840184118421843184418451846184718481849
18501850185118521853185418551856185718581859
1860s1860186118621863186418651866186718681869
1870s1870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
19901990199119921993199419951996199719981999
20002000200120022003200420052006200720082009
2010s2010201120122013201420152016201720182019
Features
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit