Results

We found
518
matching items
Media Types
Images  Images  
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
    Image     Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left ...
  • Early Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
    Image     Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
    Image       By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
    Image     By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
    Image       Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
    Image     Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
    Image     Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
    Image     This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron ...
  • Alpena County Savings Bank
    Imagecomment       The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The building pictured was a branch location on the corner of W. Chisholm and N. Ninth Avenue that operated from 1922 ...
    Imagecomment     The Alpena County Savings Bank was established in 1893 at the corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Second Avenue and Park Place was the new location in 1905. The ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
  • Alpena Fire Department
    Image       Alpena Fire Department crew posing with shovels in the Winter of probably 1922.
    Image     Alpena Fire Department crew posing with shovels in the Winter of probably 1922.
  • Huey Campbell
    Image       Huey Campbell at the old dumping grounds in Alpena in 1959.
    Image     Huey Campbell at the old dumping grounds in Alpena in 1959.
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
    Image     This Alpena County Courthouse was built on Chisholm Street (between Eighth and Ninth Streets) in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1932.
  • Union School
    Image       The construction of the Union School began in 1868 and was completed in 1870. It was located on the block between First, Second, Dunbar, and White Streets. It was comprised of primary, secondary, junior, and senior classes. It was replaced by three other school buildings throughout the 1900s. The block ...
    Image     The construction of the Union School began in 1868 and was completed in 1870. It was located on the block between First, Second, Dunbar, and White Streets. It was comprised ...
  • Trinity Episcopal Church
    Image       The original Trinity Episcopal Church was built on Washington Avenue off of Chisholm Street in 1867. This new church was dedicated on June 29, 1884.
    Image     The original Trinity Episcopal Church was built on Washington Avenue off of Chisholm Street in 1867. This new church was dedicated on June 29, 1884.
  • St. Mary's Church
    Image       St. Mary's Church, located on North Second Avenue, was dedicated On February 21, 1886. This picture was taken sometime in the early 1900s with Joseph Ayotte pictured on the steeple doing repair work.
    Image     St. Mary's Church, located on North Second Avenue, was dedicated On February 21, 1886. This picture was taken sometime in the early 1900s with Joseph Ayotte pictured on the steeple ...
  • Ed Kositchek and Son
    Image       Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their store was located at 119 South Second Avenue.
    Image     Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their ...
  • Dege's Garage Next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena
    Image       Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
    Image     Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
  • C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company
    Image       C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west of Alpena.
    Image     C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west ...
  • Globe Hotel
    Image       The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm Street and burned in the 1970s.
    Image     The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm ...
  • Unknown building
    Image       Unknown building. Labelled as Garfield School, but believed to be labelled wrong.
    Image     Unknown building. Labelled as Garfield School, but believed to be labelled wrong.
  • Dougal McKenzie
    Image       Chief of Police Dougal McKenzie prior to the Lyon Brother incident in March 1926. The Lyon Brothers killed Special Investigator for the American Railway Express Company, Frank McGrath, in Norwalk, Ohio. McGrath was shot when he went to question the Lyon Brothers about a robbery at the Express Company office. ...
    Image     Chief of Police Dougal McKenzie prior to the Lyon Brother incident in March 1926. The Lyon Brothers killed Special Investigator for the American Railway Express Company, Frank McGrath, in Norwalk, ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit