Results

We found
31
matching items
Contributors
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
  
Media Types
Images  Collections  
  
  • St. Bernard's Catholic Church (first)
        The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction of Reverend Father Murray in 1868 on the north side of Chisholm street near its present location. The new church was built between 1880 and 1883.
      The first St. Bernard's Church was organized and erected under the direction ...
  • Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to the right. St. Mary's Catholic Church steeple is in the far background.
      Second Avenue looking north with the Maltz Theatre in the center to ...
  • Beck's Brewery
        Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue in the center of the block between Chisholm Street and Park Place. If was owned by John Beck. Prohibition halted production in 1918. After being a storage building for numerous years, the building was razed in 1957.
      Beck's Brewery was built in 1887 and was located on First Avenue ...
  • Alpena Board of Commerce Band
        The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of City Hall.
      The Alpena Board of Commerce Band in uniform standing in front of ...
  • Alpena Business College
        The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River Street, operated from about 1899 to 1920. Mrs. Mary Veenfliet was the proprietor.
      The Alpena Business College, at the corner of First Avenue and River ...
  • Alpena County Jail
        The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse on Chisholm Street near Ninth Avenue. It was built in 1887 of Alpena limestone at a cost of $10,000.
      The Alpena County Jail was located across from the Alpena County Courthouse ...
  • Michikewis Bathing Pavilion
        On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to Mich-e-ke-wis, named after Chief Mich-e-ke-wis meaning "Spirit of the Wind." On July 29, 1926, there was a formal opening of the bathing pavilion.
      On June 2, 1924, Stoney Point Camping Grounds was officially renamed to ...
  • Churchill House
        Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
      Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a ...
  • Clowns
        Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
      Harry Alec, Ralph Alec, and Eddie Everty dressed as clowns.
  • Churchill House
        Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a block to be positioned between First and Waters Street (present location of City Hall) and turned facing away from the bay. It was officially reopened as the Churchill House on May 2, 1888. The Churchill House burned April ...
      Originally the Fletcher House, this hotel was moved in 1887 about a ...
  • Clown Wagon in 1925 Parade
        O'Callaghan Bros. Welcome - Farmers and - Guarantee Bully Drug Store Service
      O'Callaghan Bros. Welcome - Farmers and - Guarantee Bully Drug Store Service
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
        This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
      This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class ...
  • Owl Cafe Fire
        The burning of the original Owl Cafe on the corner of Chisholm Street and Second Avenue on February 18, 1927.
      The burning of the original Owl Cafe on the corner of Chisholm ...
  • Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue, looking south, in Downtown Alpena. Maltz Theatre is on the left.
      Second Avenue, looking south, in Downtown Alpena. Maltz Theatre is on the ...
  • Churchill Lumber Company Vessel W.J. CARTER
        The W.J. CARTER was built in 1886 and came under the ownership of the Churchill Lumber Company, Alpena, in 1907 until about 1913. Here the CARTER sits in the Thunder Bay River being loaded with lumber.
      The W.J. CARTER was built in 1886 and came under the ownership ...
  • Thunder Bay River
        The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched along the river banks.
      The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched ...
  • Thunder Bay River
        The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched along the river banks.
      The Thunder Bay River at Alpena showing schooners and lumber stacks stretched ...
  • PEWABIC Copper
        Stacks of copper salvaged from the passenger vessel PEWABIC, which sank from a collision with the METEOR in 1865.
      Stacks of copper salvaged from the passenger vessel PEWABIC, which sank from ...
  • Evergreen Cemetery Chapel
        The Chapel at Evergreen Cemetery on Washington Avenue near the Thunder Bay River in Alpena.
      The Chapel at Evergreen Cemetery on Washington Avenue near the Thunder Bay ...
  • Alpena Board of Commerce Band
        photo by Garlock [sp?] U.S.S. Arizona Oct. 17 - 1923
      photo by Garlock [sp?] U.S.S. Arizona Oct. 17 - 1923
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
1860s1860186118621863186418651866186718681869
18701870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
19601960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit