Results

We found
520
matching items
  • Carter Home
        The Carter Family. The following is an excerpt from Robert Haltiner's "The Town That Wouldn't Die": "In November, 1856, Daniel Carter brought his wife Sarah and daughter Mary to what was to become Alpena - thus becoming Alpena's first family of permanent white settlers. When the Carters arrived here there ...
      The Carter Family. The following is an excerpt from Robert Haltiner's "The ...
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
        This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
      This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Engine House No. 1
        Engine House No. 1 of the Central Fire Station. This building replaced the original Engine House No. 1, which burned in 1910. It was located on the corner of Third Avenue and River Street.
      Engine House No. 1 of the Central Fire Station. This building replaced ...
  • Churchill Lumber Company
        W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it cut 17,250,000 feet of lumber and about 5,000,000 feet of lath. The firm also had a store and a wagon ...
      W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by ...
  • First Baptist Church
        On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at the southeast corner of Third and Lockwood Street. The church cost the Baptist Society $23,000. It was razed in 1962.
      On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
        The Alpena County Courthouse c1950
      The Alpena County Courthouse c1950
  • Alpena Central High School
        Alpena Central High School c1939
      Alpena Central High School c1939
  • Thunder Bay River, May 1961
        During the 1930s, the old Second Avenue Swing Bridge became inadequate and occasionally inoperative. On August 20, 1938, the Public Works Administration agreed to finance a new bridge. There was an outright grant of $157,909 to supplement $190,000, which the Municipal Church desired to raise though a bond issue. The ...
      During the 1930s, the old Second Avenue Swing Bridge became inadequate and ...
  • Independence Day Parade 1962
        Independence Day Parade 1962
      Independence Day Parade 1962
  • Alpena Central High School
        Alpena Central High School 1942
      Alpena Central High School 1942
  • Downtown Alpena
        This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
      This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's ...
  • Downtown Alpena
        Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
      Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
        Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
      Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant ...
  • Union Hotel Kitchen
        The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of Alpena. One was located in the Union Hotel at the junction of W. Washington and Second Avenues. Edward Fitzpatrick was the owner.
      The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
        By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
      By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up ...
  • Michigan Alkali Quarry
        The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first shipment of limestone left in 1903. There was much waste in their production. J. B. Ford, Vice-President of the company, found a solution - make cement from the "waste." The Huron Portland Cement Company was formed, and cement ...
      The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first ...
  • Alpena Portland Cement Company
        Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement Company began production in 1901. It was located on the bay just north of the city limits. After closing for seasonal repairs in 1909, the company never reopened.
      Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement ...
  • Northern Extract Company
        Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
      Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit