Results

We found
520
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Carter Home
    Image       The Carter Family. The following is an excerpt from Robert Haltiner's "The Town That Wouldn't Die": "In November, 1856, Daniel Carter brought his wife Sarah and daughter Mary to what was to become Alpena - thus becoming Alpena's first family of permanent white settlers. When the Carters arrived here there ...
    Image     The Carter Family. The following is an excerpt from Robert Haltiner's "The Town That Wouldn't Die": "In November, 1856, Daniel Carter brought his wife Sarah and daughter Mary to what ...
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
    AudioImageTextCollection       This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
    AudioImageTextCollection     This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
    Image       The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
    Image     The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on ...
  • Engine House No. 1
    Image       Engine House No. 1 of the Central Fire Station. This building replaced the original Engine House No. 1, which burned in 1910. It was located on the corner of Third Avenue and River Street.
    Image     Engine House No. 1 of the Central Fire Station. This building replaced the original Engine House No. 1, which burned in 1910. It was located on the corner of Third ...
  • Churchill Lumber Company
    Image       W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it cut 17,250,000 feet of lumber and about 5,000,000 feet of lath. The firm also had a store and a wagon ...
    Image     W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it ...
  • First Baptist Church
    Image       On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at the southeast corner of Third and Lockwood Street. The church cost the Baptist Society $23,000. It was razed in 1962.
    Image     On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at the southeast corner of Third and Lockwood Street. The church cost the Baptist Society $23,000. It was razed ...
  • Alpena County Courthouse
    Image       The Alpena County Courthouse c1950
    Image     The Alpena County Courthouse c1950
  • Alpena Central High School
    Image       Alpena Central High School c1939
    Image     Alpena Central High School c1939
  • Thunder Bay River, May 1961
    Image       During the 1930s, the old Second Avenue Swing Bridge became inadequate and occasionally inoperative. On August 20, 1938, the Public Works Administration agreed to finance a new bridge. There was an outright grant of $157,909 to supplement $190,000, which the Municipal Church desired to raise though a bond issue. The ...
    Image     During the 1930s, the old Second Avenue Swing Bridge became inadequate and occasionally inoperative. On August 20, 1938, the Public Works Administration agreed to finance a new bridge. There was ...
  • Independence Day Parade 1962
    Image       Independence Day Parade 1962
    Image     Independence Day Parade 1962
  • Alpena Central High School
    Image       Alpena Central High School 1942
    Image     Alpena Central High School 1942
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
    Image     This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
    Image     Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
  • Fletcher Office Building
    Image       The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
    Image     The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
    Image       Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
    Image     Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water ...
  • Union Hotel Kitchen
    Image       The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of Alpena. One was located in the Union Hotel at the junction of W. Washington and Second Avenues. Edward Fitzpatrick was the owner.
    Image     The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of Alpena. One was located in the Union Hotel at the junction of W. Washington and Second Avenues. Edward ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
    Image       By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
    Image     By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of ...
  • Michigan Alkali Quarry
    Image       The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first shipment of limestone left in 1903. There was much waste in their production. J. B. Ford, Vice-President of the company, found a solution - make cement from the "waste." The Huron Portland Cement Company was formed, and cement ...
    Image     The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first shipment of limestone left in 1903. There was much waste in their production. J. B. Ford, Vice-President of ...
  • Alpena Portland Cement Company
    Image       Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement Company began production in 1901. It was located on the bay just north of the city limits. After closing for seasonal repairs in 1909, the company never reopened.
    Image     Not to be confused with Huron Portland Cement, the Alpena Portland Cement Company began production in 1901. It was located on the bay just north of the city limits. After ...
  • Northern Extract Company
    Image       Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
    Image     Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit