Results

We found
518
matching items
Contributors
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
  
Media Types
Images  
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Ann Taber's Finding Alpena's Roots
    AudioImageTextCollection       This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history and people of Alpena.
    AudioImageTextCollection     This marrated slide show was a group project for a graduate class offered though Central Michigan University. It reviews and explains some of the resources available to study the history ...
  • Alpena Central High School
    Image       Alpena Central High School c1939
    Image     Alpena Central High School c1939
  • Churchill Lumber Company
    Image       W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it cut 17,250,000 feet of lumber and about 5,000,000 feet of lath. The firm also had a store and a wagon ...
    Image     W.L. and H.D. Churchill Lumber Company. This mill was first built by F.N. Barlow in 1871. It was purchased by the Churchills in 1877. During the season of 1882, it ...
  • First Baptist Church
    Image       On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at the southeast corner of Third and Lockwood Street. The church cost the Baptist Society $23,000. It was razed in 1962.
    Image     On December 25, 1892, the Baptists dedicated their new brick church at the southeast corner of Third and Lockwood Street. The church cost the Baptist Society $23,000. It was razed ...
  • Alpena Central High School
    Image       Alpena Central High School 1942
    Image     Alpena Central High School 1942
  • Independence Day Parade 1962
    Image       Independence Day Parade 1962
    Image     Independence Day Parade 1962
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron raling to the right), c1875.
    Image     This view looks North up Dock Street (now Second Avenue). St. Mary's Catholic Church is at center. The photographer is on the north side of the bridge (note the iron ...
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
    Image     Bird's Eye View of Alpena, Mich., looking East.
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
    Image       Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
    Image     Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
    Image       By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
    Image     By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of ...
  • Early Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
    Image     Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
    Image     Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left ...
  • Odd Fellow (I.O.O.F.) Parade Float
    Image       Independent Order of Odd Fellows' (I.O.O.F.) parade float in downtown Alpena.
    Image     Independent Order of Odd Fellows' (I.O.O.F.) parade float in downtown Alpena.
  • Downtown Alpena
    Image       Chisholm Street, looking West, Alpena, Mich.
    Image     Chisholm Street, looking West, Alpena, Mich.
  • Dougal McKenzie
    Image       Chief of Police Dougal McKenzie prior to the Lyon Brother incident in March 1926. The Lyon Brothers killed Special Investigator for the American Railway Express Company, Frank McGrath, in Norwalk, Ohio. McGrath was shot when he went to question the Lyon Brothers about a robbery at the Express Company office. ...
    Image     Chief of Police Dougal McKenzie prior to the Lyon Brother incident in March 1926. The Lyon Brothers killed Special Investigator for the American Railway Express Company, Frank McGrath, in Norwalk, ...
  • Unknown building
    Image       Unknown building. Labelled as Garfield School, but believed to be labelled wrong.
    Image     Unknown building. Labelled as Garfield School, but believed to be labelled wrong.
  • Globe Hotel
    Image       The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm Street and burned in the 1970s.
    Image     The first Globe Hotel was built on River Street and burned on November 12, 1871. This Globe Hotel was built in the early 1880s on Washington Street off of Chisholm ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company
    Image       C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west of Alpena.
    Image     C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, NY, and William Kreb. The tannery was located at the end of Washington Avenue, west ...
  • Dege's Garage Next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena
    Image       Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
    Image     Dege's Garage next to Martindale's Store on River Street, Alpena.
  • Ed Kositchek and Son
    Image       Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their store was located at 119 South Second Avenue.
    Image     Edward Kositchek and Sons were dealers in buggies, wagons, robes, blankets, and oliver plows in the early 1900s. They were also manufacturers of harnesses, guns, ammunition, and sporting goods. Their ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit