Summer 2016 August 2016 James Rasche began playing guitar at the age of 14 and performed in the local Alcona music scene. In this interview, James talks about some of his early years playing at the Mountain Inn, Slanty Shanty, and Rainbow Lounge, as well as many local festivals, dances, and parties in the...
Winter 2017 Coming from a musical family, Cal's love for music began at the early age of five and was influenced by his travels growing up in a military family. While his father was stationed in Hawaii, Cal learned traditional Hawaiian music and torch dancing which contributed in developing a passion for...
1887 The D.D. Hanover Harness Shop was located on Chisholm Street in the back portion of the building that fronted with the original Owl Cafe (corner of Second and Chisholm Street). The brick building to the left is the Culligan Block."Waiting for Election Returns, Chisholm Street, April 17, 1887"
1908 The construction of Alpena City Hall was completed in 1908. It was constructed with a steeple, which was replace by a cupola. The cupola was removed in 1957."City Hall, Steeple removed, May 10, 1908"
1900 Communicable diseases were a threat in early Alpena. This building, referred to as the "Pest House," was used to quarantine patients. The name is derived from "pestilence," which refers to an infectious disease. The house was located on the grounds of the present hospital."Dr. Dunlop's Raven...
1880 "Home of J.C. Viall, 511 Washington Ave., 1880"
1886 Residential area of First Avenue looking north from Hitchcock towards Chisholm Street.Fletcher Home, 3rd north of Hitchcock; Johnson Home, 4th north of Hitchcock; Comstock Home, 5th north of Hitchcock."Homes of Frank W. Fletcher, William H. Johnson and William B. Comstock, First Street, 1886"
1886 "Home of William E. Potter, 306 Washington Ave., 1886. Built 1883, Dismantled 1965."
c 1884 Looking along the residential portion of First Avenue from Chisholm Street."First Street, South from Chisholm Street, with home of Andrew Harshaw, 1884, - H.C. Beach - Wm. E. Hazell - Tom McDade - J.B. Hubbard, 1959.
1908 The Sherman House (hotel) was located at 217 West Fletcher Street, half way between Commercial and Merchant Streets, opposite the railroad depot. It was built prior to 1883 and remained in business until about 1908. The proprietor, John D. McDonald, died in April 1907. The 1910 Sanborn Fire...
1880 "Believed to be a picture of the Harrington & Jenny Mill on River Street between Third & Fourth Streets. Sold to the Comstocks and Re-errected [sic] at the Corner of River & Sixth Street. Apr. 28, 1880. Photo by L.T. Kline"
1897 Looking towards the bridge along the East side of Second Avenue from Chisholm Street."East Side of Second from Chisholm, North, 1897"
1897 Looking North along Second Avenue from Washington Avenue. The Masonic Block is to the left. The F.C. Holmes building built in 1894 is next to it (Alpena Printing Studio / currently Black Sheep Pub)."Second Street, North from Washington, 1897"
1893 A snow entrenched Chisholm Street from Second Avenue. The Methodist Episcopal Church is on the left with the St. Bernard's Church steeple in view further down the street."West Chisholm at Second. Winter, Jan. 1, 1893"
1890 Looking South along Second Avenue from Washington Avenue. The Union Hotel sits on the right, and the Beebe Block is on the left."Second, South from Washington, 1890"
1891 Looking North along Second Avenue from Washington Avenue. The Masonic Block is on the left. This is just prior to the F.C. Holmes building (Alpena Printing Studio; currently Black Sheep Pub) being built in 1894 next to the Masonic Building."Second Street, North from Washington, 1891"
1890 Looking South along Second Avenue from Washington Avenue. The Globe Hotel is to the left. Union School is center rear, and Union Hotel is on the corner on the left. A Bay City photographer's tent sits on the lawn."Second Street, South from Masonic Block, 1890"
"South corner, Second & Washington,...
1887 Ox-Bow banking grounds. The "ox-bow" was named for a twisting stretch of the Thunder Bay River that resembled a yoke used to harness oxen. The banking grounds (on the banks of the river) were where logs were hauled prior to being put in the river to be sent to the sawmill."Ox-Bow Bank, 1887"
1889 Ox-Bow banking grounds. The "ox-bow" was named for a twisting stretch of the Thunder Bay River that resembled a yoke used to harness oxen. The banking grounds (on the banks of the river) were where logs were hauled prior to being put in the river to be sent to the sawmill."Pine Logs at Ox-Bow...
1888 First Avenue starting just before the Thunder Bay River. The Churchill House would be to the left and residential homes sit to the right, which would later be the Magnetic Springs Spa/Fletcher Building."First Street at Water, 1888"