40 Mile Point Lighthouse
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Photographic postcards
- 40 Mile Point Lighthouse
- A Little History about the 40 Mile Point Lighthouse
Building the lighthouse took from July of 1896, as soon as the building materials arrived to November 12, 1896. Housing for the crew was built first. The lighthouse was built like the Big Bay Lighthouse that is located in Marquette.
The lighthouse sits on 22 acres. The building is 35’ x 57’ in size. It has a foundation that is 20 inches thick. The 16” walls are made of double brick with an air space. The air space is the only insulation.
The tower is 52’high x 12’ wide x 12’deep. The lantern room was made of cast iron and is an octagon.
The first lighthouse keeper and assistant were: Xavier Rains (Keeper) and Edward J. Lane (Assistant Keeper) who arrived around January 4, 1897 The last official lighthouse keeper was C. P. Tupper, who made the final entry in the journal on December 31, 1943.
In January 1944, the United States Coast Guard took over of the 40 Mile Point Light Station. They took care of the lighthouse and property until 1971. Then the Coast Guard kept the lighthouse and 2.4 acres, and turned the rest over to Presque Isle County on August 16, 1971.
In 1984 the lighthouse was put on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Coast Guard continued to care for the lighthouse and Presque Isle took care of the rest of the property. In 1996 the lighthouse was on the disposal list. Presque Isle County and 40 Mile Point Lighthouse Society applied to have the property given to the County. In September 1998 the County was told the application was approved and in November of 1998 the county had the deed for the lighthouse.
- Date of Publication
Width: 4238 px
Height: 6336 px
- Ken Smith Postcard Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Michigan, United States
Latitude: 45.06168 Longitude: -83.43275
- Ken Smith
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Ken Smith Postcard Collection, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
- Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:211 N. First Ave.
Alpena, Michigan 49707