Alpena Central High School
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Photographic postcards
- Alpena Central High School
- In April of 1940 Alpena High School Burned. Classes were held in Memorial Hall, American Legion, Civic League and the Boys Club. The citizens really pulled together to get the children back in school quickly.
The New Alpena Central High School was built in 1941 and opened in September 1942. By 1952 the additions of the Gym, Science Department, and Cafeteria were finished. The Music wing was started in 1952 and finished in 1957. It included rooms for vocal practice and also included a small theater.
Alpena Central High School was a very well built building. It was built during WWII. The floors were made of Terrazzo. (Terrazzo is a floor unlike any other flooring. There are floors made 10,000 years ago with Terrazzo that still exist today). The showers were made with Italian Marble. The bookcases in the Library were made of oak. This school was built to last.
The community continued to grow, so 21 Years after the school was opened, a committee was formed in 1963 to build a new high school. The new Alpena High School opened in 1967, in between Bagley St. and Garden Street. The old High School then became Thunder Bay Jr. High School. This building served the community for 57 years. In 1999 is was razed (demolished).
- Date of Publication
Width: 6597 px
Height: 4224 px
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 6597px
Image Height: 4224px
- Ken Smith Postcard Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Michigan, United States
Latitude: 45.06168 Longitude: -83.43275
- Ken Smith
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Ken Smith Postcard Collection, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
- Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:211 N. First Ave.
Alpena, Michigan 49707