Results

We found
44
matching items
Fuzzy Search Limits
Exact
Item types:
Negatives
  
Decade
1890-1899
  
  • Northern Extract Company
        Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
      Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam ...
  • Infant Portrait
        Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 9 months of ago, c 1890.
      Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 9 months of ago, c ...
  • Toddler Portrait
        Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 2 years of ago, c 1892.
      Believed to be Arthur Linke at about 2 years of ago, c ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
        By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
      By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up ...
  • Chief E. A. Westrope & Alpena Woodman Degree Team
        The Woodmen of the World is a fraternal organization for those engaged in the part of the timber industry. The Alpena branch was known as the Huron Shores Woodmen, and may have been headed by Chief of Police Edward A. Westrope (1891-1894)[front row, first on right].
      The Woodmen of the World is a fraternal organization for those engaged ...
  • John A. Lau Saloon Interior
        Interior of the John A. Lau Saloon on North Second Avenue.
      Interior of the John A. Lau Saloon on North Second Avenue.
  • Widdis Bus
        Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any part of the city"...Special attention given to theatrical and traveling men's baggage"..."Notice: look for the new jitney bus and baggage ...
      Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. ...
  • Young Woman Portrait
        Unknown young woman from the Linke or Knechtel Family.
      Unknown young woman from the Linke or Knechtel Family.
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Lighting or Heating Device
        Lighting or Heating Device possibly used in the Taber Tannery.
      Lighting or Heating Device possibly used in the Taber Tannery.
  • Taber Tannery Crew
        The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of Thunder Bay River, near the Ninth Street Dam and railroad, close to the hemlock extract works. It was named the Alpena Hide and Leather Tannery. Production began when a shipment of 1,400 hides arrived from Brazil.
      The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of ...
  • Vessels JOHN T. GREENE and RALPH at mouth of Thunder Bay River
        The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River in 1894. The RALPH was one of a small fleet of tugs owned by the Gilchrist and Fletcher Company. AT the time of the photograph, the GREENE was owned by D.D. Ludwig ...
      The 2-mast schooner JOHN L. GREENE and tug RALPH anchored at the ...
  • Residential Area of Second Avenue
        Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing the residential portion as a wide, tree-lined street.
      Second Avenue, believed to be north of Dunbar Street looking south, showing ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church
        This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, and destroyed by fire on March 29, 1923. The current building replaced it 3 years later.
      This St.Paul Lutheran Church was built on South Second Avenue in 1890, ...
  • Mystic Shrine
        The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly known as the Shriners, the full name of this fraternal organization is the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
      The men of the Mystic Shrine photographed on July 27, 1895. Commonly ...
  • Obed Smith School Students
        Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The school was built at the corner of North Second Avenue and Spratt Street in 1883, and burned in 1922.
      Elementary students and teacher of the Obed Smith School in c1895. The ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students, 1895
        The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School in 1895 pictured outside of the church.
      The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School in 1895 pictured ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students, 1899
        The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School on March 24, 1899 pictured outside of the church.
      The elementary students of St. Paul Lutheran Church School on March 24, ...
  • Potter's Dock
        Potter Lumber Company was one of many mills that lined the Thunder Bay River. Each mill had its own dock for loading lumber to be shipped to market.
      Potter Lumber Company was one of many mills that lined the Thunder ...
  • Unknown Candy & Soda Shop
        This elegant candy and soda shop featured a marble soda fountain along a candy counter, both with cabinets behind. The glass display jars are particularly nice.
      This elegant candy and soda shop featured a marble soda fountain along ...
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
Features
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit