Results

We found
1005
matching items
  • Geographic Location: Alpena
  • Alpena City Directory 1920
        The 1920 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory contains a series of business listings, local history, governmental notes, and residents by their last name.
      The 1920 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory ...
  • Alpena City Directory 1916
        The 1916 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory contains a series of business listings, local history, governmental notes, and residents by their last name.
      The 1916 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory ...
  • Alpena City Directory 1908
        The [Date] Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory contains a series of business listings, local history, governmental notes, and residents by their last name.
      The [Date] Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory ...
  • Alpena City Directory 1883
        The 1883 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory contains a series of business listings, local history, governmental notes, and residents by their last name.
      The 1883 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory ...
  • Widdis Bus
        Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. Widdis. His business card advertised "Passenger, baggage and freight transferred to and from all trains, boats and any part of the city"...Special attention given to theatrical and traveling men's baggage"..."Notice: look for the new jitney bus and baggage ...
      Widdis Transfer and Storage Company was owned and operated by Fred G. ...
  • Union Hotel Kitchen
        The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of Alpena. One was located in the Union Hotel at the junction of W. Washington and Second Avenues. Edward Fitzpatrick was the owner.
      The 1900 Alpena City Directory listed 28 saloons in the City of ...
  • U.S. Fish Hatchery
        Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant fish in surrounding waters until 1933. In 1928, the hatchery was moved from its original location on Water Street to the rear of City Hall. On September 23, 1933, the hatchery was ordered closed as part of the ...
      Alpena's U.S. Fish Hatchery was completed in 1882, and proceeded to plant ...
  • St. Paul Lutheran Church School Students
        St. Paul Lutheran Church School students taken next to the church which burned on March 29, 1923. Arthur Linke is shown in the back row, far right, c 1900.
      St. Paul Lutheran Church School students taken next to the church which ...
  • C. Moench Sons' Company
        By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up based on wood as a resource. They used hardwoods and pulpwoods previously ignored. Moench Tannery was one of these new industries. C. Moench Sons' Tannery Company was first operated by John C. and Henry L. Moench of Cattaraugus, ...
      By 1890, the lumber industry was in decline. New industries cropped up ...
  • Michigan Alkali Quarry
        The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first shipment of limestone left in 1903. There was much waste in their production. J. B. Ford, Vice-President of the company, found a solution - make cement from the "waste." The Huron Portland Cement Company was formed, and cement ...
      The Michigan Alkali Company opened a quarry in Alpena, and the first ...
  • Taber Tannery Chimney Demolition
        Preparing to demolish the Taber Tannery chimney. As businesses came and went, it became necessary to demolish buildings and clear land. The easiest way to demolish a chimney was with dynamite. The bricks would be re-used.
      Preparing to demolish the Taber Tannery chimney. As businesses came and went, ...
  • Submarine U097 at Thunder Bay Milling Company Dock
        This captured WWI German submarine was part of a traveling exhibit in 1919. It is docked in this image at the Thunder Bay Milling Company dock in the Thunder Bay River. A WWI tank was also on exhibit.
      This captured WWI German submarine was part of a traveling exhibit in ...
  • Fletcher Office Building
        The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the Alpena Magnetic Sulphur Springs Company in 1892. Mineral water was supplied by a 1,276 foot flowing well on the property. It was not a success and closed after just a few years. The building was purchased by the ...
      The Fletcher Office Building was originally a bath house built by the ...
  • Taber Tannery Crew
        The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of Thunder Bay River, near the Ninth Street Dam and railroad, close to the hemlock extract works. It was named the Alpena Hide and Leather Tannery. Production began when a shipment of 1,400 hides arrived from Brazil.
      The Taber Tannery was built in 1895 on the north side of ...
  • Parade Watching in Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
      Second Avenue looking south toward Chisholm Street, which is just above center.
  • Early Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the pre-Maltz Opera House (State Theatre), c1870.
      Second Avenue looking north towards bridge at the approximate location of the ...
  • Alpena City Directory 1887
        The 1887 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory contains a series of business listings, local history, governmental notes, and residents by their last name.
      The 1887 Alpena City Directory published by R.L. Polk & Co. Directory ...
  • Downtown Alpena
        Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) is on the right where the Post Office is now located. The Cohen Store is on the left where Alpena Furniture stands today. St. Mary's Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church steeples can be seen in the background.
      Second Avenue on the north side of the bridge. McRae Block (1882) ...
  • Northern Extract Company
        Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam and close to the railroad. Tannic acid was extracted from hemlock bark, boiled down and shipped in barrels. It was used in the tanning of leather.
      Northern Extract Company was built in 1891 near the Ninth Street Dam ...
  • Flood of 1923
        In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 record high. The Chisholm Street and Ninth Street bridges collapsed. Homes near Ninth Street and Washington Avenue were surrounded by water, and residents evacuated.
      In 1923, the Thunder Bay River crested 18 inches over the 1922 ...
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
1820s1820182118221823182418251826182718281829
1830s1830183118321833183418351836183718381839
18401840184118421843184418451846184718481849
18501850185118521853185418551856185718581859
1860s1860186118621863186418651866186718681869
1870s1870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
1990s1990199119921993199419951996199719981999
2000s2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
2010s2010201120122013201420152016201720182019
2020s2020202120222023202420252026202720282029
Features
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit
Privacy Policy