Results

We found
22
matching items
  • Media Types: Images
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Hemlock
        Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
      Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Engine House No. 1
        Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
      Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 ...
  • Penny Farthing Bicycle
        Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. The photograph is circa 1890, and the photographer is Lawson of Alpena. Bicycles were extremely popular, and there were several bicycle clubs in Alpena.
      Shown is a young man standing next to a penny farthing bicycle. ...
  • Peter Luther Shipping Tag
        Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies made use of the remaining cedar and hardwoods. Items made included tool handles and spools. Peter H. Luther made cedar gill net floats, buoys, baskets covers, and bottoms - all for the commercial fishing business. Peter was a ...
      Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Churchill School Teachers
        The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 and was first named the Garfield School. It was located on Washington Avenue. The school was destroyed by fire in 1946.
      The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 ...
  • Stone Quarry Crusher
        Stone quarry crusher used to prepare limestone for the cement making process. This is probably located at the Huron Portland Cement quarry.
      Stone quarry crusher used to prepare limestone for the cement making process. ...
  • Limestone Quarry
        The Michigan Alkali Company, incorporated in 1894, was built in Wyandotte, Michigan to produce soda sh for the manufacture of glass. Salt and limestone were key ingredients. A site was selected at Alpena for the mining of limestone. Land was purchased and a quarry was opened. The first shipment of ...
      The Michigan Alkali Company, incorporated in 1894, was built in Wyandotte, Michigan ...
  • Huron Portland Cement Company
        The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This industry gave a tremendous boost to Alpena's economy after the end of the lumber era. It was once the World's Largest Cement Plant. It is now owned by Lafarge North America.
      The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This ...
  • Huron Cement Plant
        The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This industry gave a tremendous boost to Alpena's economy after the end of the lumber era. It was once the World's Largest Cement Plant. It is now owned by Lafarge North America.
      The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This ...
  • Dunbar Street Home
        The home of Herbert M. and Maud [nee Stewart] Howe at 215 E. Dunbar Street, Alpena, Michigan.
      The home of Herbert M. and Maud [nee Stewart] Howe at 215 ...
  • Dunbar Street Home
        This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, owner of the Howe Music Shop and later, Alpena City Clerk. This home is located at 215 E. Dunbar Street. The first floor was finished with Mission-style oak. Maud Stewart Howe, Herbert's wife, is the woman seated in ...
      This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, ...
  • Churchill School Students
        A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. Children were born between 1900 and 1904.
      A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Hose House No. 3
        Hose House No. 3 was located on South Ninth Avenue between Fair and McKinley Streets. In 1916, the Captain was Adelore Delisle. The firemen were William T. Ferguson and William Goodrich.
      Hose House No. 3 was located on South Ninth Avenue between Fair ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Fire Engine
        The fire engine in front of the Central Fire Station, which was built in 1911. Fire Chief R.E. Wilson was instrumental in switching the department from horse-drawn to motorized equipment.
      The fire engine in front of the Central Fire Station, which was ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Businesses destroyed included the Owl Cafe, Gavagan and Company Confectionery, and Blackburn and Company Insurance. The intense heat from the fire cracked and broke the windows in all nearby buildings.
      On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and Chisholm Street. Businesses destroyed included the Owl Cafe, Gavagan and Company Confectionery, and Blackburn and Company Insurance. The intense heat from the fire cracked and broke the windows in all nearby buildings.
      On February 18, 1927, fire destroyed the Reynold's Block located on the ...
  • Boys' Club Model Plane Builders
        Boys' Club Model Plane Builders. These boys and their instructors are showing off the model airplanes they built at the Alpena Boys' Club.
      Boys' Club Model Plane Builders. These boys and their instructors are showing ...
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit