Results

We found
22
matching items
  • Media Types: Images
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Collections: Clarissa Merrill Howe Collection
  • Stone Quarry Crusher
        Stone quarry crusher used to prepare limestone for the cement making process. This is probably located at the Huron Portland Cement quarry.
      Stone quarry crusher used to prepare limestone for the cement making process. ...
  • Rotary Dance Team
        Cast members from a show put on by the Alpena Rotary International Club. Young women standing left to right: Clarissa Howe and Joey Smith. Young women kneeling from left to right: Clarissa Howe and Betty Lappan.
      Cast members from a show put on by the Alpena Rotary International ...
  • Rotary Dance Group
        A "chorus line" from a show put on by the Alpena Rotary International Club. The young women from left to right: Virginia Downing, Margaret Currier, Margy McDonald, Phyllis Hanson, Joey Smith, Gail Martindale, Dorothy Krueger, Helen Spleet, Clarissa Howe, Betty Lappan, Edna LaGary, Edith Panknin, and Jean Gordon.
      A "chorus line" from a show put on by the Alpena Rotary ...
  • Peter Luther Shipping Tag
        Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies made use of the remaining cedar and hardwoods. Items made included tool handles and spools. Peter H. Luther made cedar gill net floats, buoys, baskets covers, and bottoms - all for the commercial fishing business. Peter was a ...
      Peter Luther Shipping Tag. After the pine lumber industry declined, may companies ...
  • Dunbar Street Home
        The home of Herbert M. and Maud [nee Stewart] Howe at 215 E. Dunbar Street, Alpena, Michigan.
      The home of Herbert M. and Maud [nee Stewart] Howe at 215 ...
  • Limestone Quarry
        The Michigan Alkali Company, incorporated in 1894, was built in Wyandotte, Michigan to produce soda sh for the manufacture of glass. Salt and limestone were key ingredients. A site was selected at Alpena for the mining of limestone. Land was purchased and a quarry was opened. The first shipment of ...
      The Michigan Alkali Company, incorporated in 1894, was built in Wyandotte, Michigan ...
  • Huron Portland Cement Company
        The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This industry gave a tremendous boost to Alpena's economy after the end of the lumber era. It was once the World's Largest Cement Plant. It is now owned by Lafarge North America.
      The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Hose House No. 3
        Hose House No. 3 was located on South Ninth Avenue between Fair and McKinley Streets. In 1916, the Captain was Adelore Delisle. The firemen were William T. Ferguson and William Goodrich.
      Hose House No. 3 was located on South Ninth Avenue between Fair ...
  • Hemlock
        Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid was extracted from the bark and use in the tanning of leather.
      Hemlock. These men are peeling bark from a hemlock log. Tannic acid ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Fletcher Paper Company
        During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of a large paper mill on Fletcher Street near Pine Street opposite their Sulphite Paper Pulp factory. The first paper was made on January 7, 1899 and was manila paper. The factory closed in the December 2000.
      During January 1898, George N. Fletcher and Sons commenced the erection of ...
  • Alpena Fire Department's Fire Engine
        Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
      Cecil Morey? (probably refers to engine driver)
  • Alpena Fire Department's Engine House No. 1
        Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 and fronted River Street and Third Avenue. It burned on October 2, 1910.
      Engine House No. 1 and City Hall. This was constructed in 1880 ...
  • Downtown Alpena Fire
        Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): "lines on top of the Bertrand Building cor Chisholm and Second Ave There are 4 streams o this roof I made a cross where the too you can not see verry well is. We had 9 lines on ...
      Back of photograph, probably written by Fire Chief R. E. Wilson (1874-1951): ...
  • Dunbar Street Home
        This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, owner of the Howe Music Shop and later, Alpena City Clerk. This home is located at 215 E. Dunbar Street. The first floor was finished with Mission-style oak. Maud Stewart Howe, Herbert's wife, is the woman seated in ...
      This is the living room in the home of Herbert M. Howe, ...
  • Churchill School Teachers
        The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 and was first named the Garfield School. It was located on Washington Avenue. The school was destroyed by fire in 1946.
      The Churchill School was a two-story brick six-room building erected in 1896 ...
  • Churchill School Students
        A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. Children were born between 1900 and 1904.
      A group of elementary school students on the steps of Churchill School. ...
  • Huron Cement Plant
        The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This industry gave a tremendous boost to Alpena's economy after the end of the lumber era. It was once the World's Largest Cement Plant. It is now owned by Lafarge North America.
      The Huron Portland Cement Company was organized on November 22, 1906. This ...
  • Boys' Club Model Plane Builders
        Front of Postcard: Constructive Leisure Time at the Boys' Club Model Plane Builders Back of Postcard: Postmark: Alpena, Mich., Apr 20, 1934, 6:30a. To: R.E. Wilson, 3rd Ave. & River, Alpena, Michigan The Boys' Club Keeps Them Busy One hundred and fifty one boys have been given instructions n various ...
      Front of Postcard: Constructive Leisure Time at the Boys' Club Model Plane ...
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Years
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
Map
Map of locations associated with these items. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit